Sunday, March 13, 2011

Seed Catalog

Last week in the mail I received a seed catalog.
Page by page there is amazing pictures of
fruits and vegetables that make your mouth water
and I want to order a bunch of seeds and
see the miracle of it all.
Because after all, I love gardening...
...my bad, I love the novelty of gardening.


Spring decor  at my house.

The "beast" tilling the ground, getting it ready to
hold the tender seeds as they mature and grow.
Walking behind the tiller in the soft, cold dirt.
And having the sun casting evening shadows
across the yard as we plant another row
of sweet corn ( 'cause everyone loves corn on the cob.)

And then after a few days/weeks of sunshine
and rain, you see life coming out
of the ground where you planted a seed,
and the God of the universe touches my
heart with yet another miracle.



But that is where the novelty ends for me.
I get overwhelmed with
all the weeds and I wonder
what was I thinking when I thought I
would have time (or even make time)
to pull weeds.
And before you know what happened,
it is a "garden" choked out by weeds.

For all you avid gardeners out there,
know that I applaud you.
You do what it takes to have a
successful harvest.  And I will come buy
you labor of love when you have your
bountiful harvest out by the road
with a hand made sign and sweet fruit and juicy vegies.



So what about the "novelty" of being a follower of Jesus?  Is it something you start and see the miracles along the way but when it comes to doing the hard work and getting our hands dirty and fighting against the sin that wants to creep in and choke out our joy, does it make us wonder, is it worth it, what was I thinking?

My heart's longing is to be like Jesus, and so many times I have failed when the hard work came but then there is God's amazing GRACE that saves me and gives me courage to try again.   He never gives up on me and patiently waits for the havest of the Fruit of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22-23a
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

No comments:

Post a Comment

{Thanks for stopping by.}